Wednesday, July 25, 2012

James' Last Theme Party ~ July 1st

This a post about James, but it's also about me... isn't everything here really about me?!  :)  In previous posts I've alluded to how I'd anticipated James' graduation with mixed emotions. I did very well at the ceremony and banquet "tear-wise", mostly because I was sort of dazed and didn't know what to expect. I came away feeling that it wasn't quite enough for me to just attend such a public gathering, and that I was very glad to be hosting a graduation party for James to have some emotional closure. As I said to Scott at the end of the night, "That was a ton of work, but I needed to do that." As the evening progressed, it dawned on me that yes, this was the last party I'd likely be able to give James that was entirely planned by me, complete with goody bags. (Some of you may recall that we had many years of repeated theme birthday parties that all of the boys experienced, so this is something I like to do when the occasion arrives...) The next big occasion, theoretically a wedding someday, will be out of my hands. So, thus inspired my 50 minutepowerpoint subconsciously, but more on that later. :)



The other reason to celebrate together was that my sister Ann and her family were in town for a few weeks of vacation. She kindly took many of these photos for me, but it means I have none of her! :( Scott had his hands full as well at the BBQ.

James came through for us in the end, with his girlfriend and five close friends arriving pretty much on time. He had been so uncommitted about their attendance... good thing we had tons of food. Thankfully the weekend rain had let up enough for people to be outside, so they enjoyed having their own space.

Tech buddies, James & Michael
Will & Marcus
Kelsey did well to hang out with all the guys.
Cousin Isabelle was entertaining!
Another highlight of the party was having my cousin Luke attend, especially as he brought the newest member of his family, baby Asher... so very sweet. Way to go, Tricia!

"Home-made Canuck"....for Canada Day!
Big sister Makena
Big brother Koen
Luke hanging out with the younger set...
One of the sweetest moments ever was seeing Nora hold baby Asher. His parents had entrusted her to hold Asher by herself, where she sat so very still in the big chair for almost 15 minutes. Nora had the biggest smile ever, she was truly thrilled. I forget that in her earlier days, she used to be with other babies all the time.

 So much for neck support, Asher didn't seem to mind!
He's as laid-back as his silblings!
Waking up...

Thomas helps his alter-ego, cousin Aiden
Enjoying a delicious meal... don't ask me what Nora was doing?!
Charles was happy to invite Margarita... they helped me decorate. :)
Brothers-in-law... all great guys!
Izzy slows down enough for a cuddle with Auntie Kellie
Lewis kept his cousins busy... didn't see them much!
Aiden found the Duplo blocks...
...while Nora got into the dress-up clothes.



Desserts were in an over-abundance, especially as I had baked several types of squares.
I did this in honour of James' past baking exploits, which I haven't seen for
many years now. We enjoyed squares for a week after the party...
Back in 2004, James baked 5 different types of squares for my parents'
40th wedding anniversary. Hmm... who can I train now?
After the "Eating", we moved on to the "Entertainment". James' friends were quick to participate for a prize for getting the most correct answers about trivia re: James. The quiz was so difficult that even James didn't know some of the answers, but we certainly had a good time roasting "Janice"... I mean, James.


We had time for gifts for James after that. I hurriedly presented him with the quilt top I had just finished the night before. I don't expect him to be sentimental about this, but I'm establishing the tradition in this way of making quilts for all the kids at graduation. The colour and fabrics have particular meaning to me about James, so I thought of him often as I put this together. I have since delivered it to a local machine quilter to sew the layers together as it's too large for me to do at home. I'll write more about this on my quilt blog when I get to updating that. :)

James responding to a brother's comment, not the quilt~
The pattern, "Yellow Brick Road"... obviously not done in yellows!
Where will life take James?!
After gifts, we watched a very long power point/movie that I made of James' entire life so far. I suggested skipping parts to save time, but the guys were insistent on watching it all. They truly seemed to enjoy it, making fun of James the whole time, and laughing as we did too. I really enjoyed making it in the preceding month, working through my feelings as I reviewed so many moments of his life, and then choosing as many sentimental songs that I possibly could get away with. Unfortunately, it was such a lengthy movie that most of the young families had to go home in the meantime. I appreciate their coming to the party, thanks! Enjoy your little ones, as it sure seems like James grew up quickly.

And yes, I did buy 5 matching frames, and a framing tool as well!
Call me if you need it...
Afterwards, James, his friends and brothers headed down the street to play frisbee together.

Some moments you wish would never end...
  I'm not sure how frisbee evolved to cheerleading stunts?
Somehow Lewis got pulled in too...
One last group photo... James has some nice friends.
The party ended shortly after, and we stayed up late cleaning but it was with full hearts. Here's hoping we'll see more of the guys come by in the days ahead even as they head off to different things in the fall. James will most likely attend UFV (University of the Fraser Valley) at the Abbotsford campus. He's enrolled in the Computer Information Systems Degree program, with a bit of a head start from getting credit for the online computer courses he's worked on over the past three years. And myself, you can bet that I'm already planning the next party in my head for... next June! :) I've survived the hurdle of the eldest child moving on... it'll be 16 years until I see the last one, and then I'll just be relieved. (Yikes!) For now, I'll be recovering over the next week...

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

That quilt is GORGEOUS!!!

Susan said...

Thanks, Carolyn!

Post a Comment