Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Because he'll never tell you himself... Feb.13th

 Feb.24th...  future Grad

Here's a little story about our oldest son, James... you know, the one who doesn't talk very much? Well, that's because he's so busy conjuring up big plans.  Generally when I pick up the boys after school, they are pretty quiet, and James especially so. (Although I always love catching his eye on his approach, where he can't help but grin at me... it's the only time I ever get to see his teeth.) He was full of life on this occasion, laughing as he told us that he had been pulled from History to speak with the principal, along with his best friend Michael. The principal, as well as the Infotech teacher, wanted to know who had changed the website page of all three school campuses on Friday from the usual appearance of this screen...


...to this one?

Michael was quick to point his finger at James, "It was him." James was promptly told "Well done!" by the computer teacher. (James had waited until he knew this teacher was away in the U.S. for the weekend, with it timed to come online at midnight, Friday morning.) After James was questioned enough to determine that he hadn't entered the computer system to change marks etc. by the principal, then the computer teacher asked him if he had done it this way or that... giving James three other ideas for which to hack the system. He explained his way to the teacher, which made an impression. I'm thankful that James was only trying to do a graduation prank, and didn't go too far to get into serious trouble. (Because in his mind, he's showing them that their system is not secure enough...) I also think he should consider asking for a letter of reference, as this is exactly what he hopes to learn/do more of at BCIT. I think he should do just fine. It's the rest of us I'm concerned about! Make sure you are nice to James... you don't want to get on the wrong side of a hacker! :)

1 comment:

U.Paul said...

I liked the "three other ways to hack the system", Susan. Ah, creativity!!!

Post a Comment