Poor Nora so generously received the gift of Lewis' cold that he had last week... he's such a generous boy. Early Monday morning, she awoke with a high fever and proceeded to have fevers for four days. At times her body was completely pink and hot, except her hands and feet remained very cold. Of course, doing internet searches about that brings up scary topics like meningitis, so that wasn't particularly reassuring. By Wednesday, my awesome Dr. and staff squeezed us in for an appointment when I desperately called in the morning... they are so good. Nora had a definite ear infection in at least one ear, and there was some concern about her chest getting involved. This is when I once again say "Thank you, God, for antibiotics!" (It's coming back to me that I've said that in the past...) Charles is a great help in the cuddling department.
Thursday wasn't much better of a day, with the cough progressing, and the fever remaining. Let's just say we're not getting much sleep, and we try to get in whatever milk and pureed fruits we can as Nora's appetite has been poor. She couldn't even keep her balance to stand last evening. We've been bonding in a new way this week, as she has flaked out in our laps just wanting to be held, often falling asleep. This has not been the case before, as she's been so active and not particularly cuddly. Everything understandably goes on hold when your child is that sick. The boys have been helpful, and have put up with having limited food selections from the cupboards as grocery shopping has not been a priority.
Here's Nora on Friday... we managed a brief smile out of her, but that was probably it for the day.
Today is looking somewhat better. The fever is gone, and Nora's nose is less plugged. However, her cough is more pronounced and has made it harder for her to keep anything she drinks down. We made a brief appearance at Scott's Taekwondo Christmas party at noon... She did okay until she threw up over herself and Scott... fortunately most of the adults had left by then. It wasn't a pretty picture! After a good nap this afternoon, Nora is moving around the TV room here, trying to get at the DVD player, so this is a good sign that she is improving. Now if only I felt a little better... I think I'm next. :(
Here's one last photo of the one time we got out this week, when I didn't think Nora was doing too badly. We had a wonderful lunch in Richmond with my girlfriends, Laura and Heather, on Tuesday.
No comments:
Post a Comment